Data Collection & Use
A. The data we collect
- Data provided by users to XXRIDE, such as during account creation
- Data created during use of our services, such as location, app usage, and device data
- Data from other sources, such as XXRIDE partners and third parties that use XXRIDE APIs
The following data is collected by or on behalf of XXRIDE:
- Data provided by users. This includes:
- User profile: We collect data when users create or update their XXRIDE accounts. This may include their name, email, phone number, login name and password, address, profile picture, payment or banking information (including related payment verification information), government identification documents, including driver’s license numbers and images, birth date, signature, and photo. This also includes vehicle or insurance information of drivers and user settings. We may use the photos submitted by drivers to verify their identities, such as through facial recognition technologies. For more information, please see the section titled “How we use personal data.”
- Background check and identity verification: We collect background check and identity verification information for drivers. This may include information such as driver history or criminal record (where permitted by law), and right to work. This information may be collected by an authorized vendor on XXRIDE’s behalf.
- Demographic data: We may collect demographic data about users, including through user surveys. In some countries, we may also receive demographic data about users from third parties.
- User content: We collect the information users submit when they contact XXRIDE customer support, provide ratings or compliments for other users or otherwise contact XXRIDE. This may include feedback, photographs, or other recordings collected by users.
- Data created during use of our services. This includes:
- Location data: We collect precise or approximate location data from a user’s mobile device if enabled by the user to do so. For drivers, XXRIDE collects this data when the XXRIDE app is running in the foreground (app open and on-screen) or background (app open but not on-screen) of their mobile device. For riders, XXRIDE collects this data when the XXRIDE app is running in the foreground. In certain regions (which do not include the European Union), XXRIDE may also collect this data when the XXRIDE app is running in the background of the user’s mobile device. Riders may use the XXRIDE apps without enabling XXRIDE to collect location data from their mobile devices. However, this may affect some functionality available in the XXRIDE apps. For example, a user who has not enabled location data collection will have to manually enter their address. In addition, the location data collected from a driver device during a trip will be linked to the rider’s account, even if they have not enabled location data to be collected from their device, including for purposes of receipt generation, customer support, fraud detection, insurance, and litigation.
- Transaction information: We collect transaction information related to the use of our services, including the type of services requested or provided, order details, delivery information, date and time the service was provided, amount charged, distance travelled, and payment method. Additionally, if someone uses your promotion code, we may associate your name with that person.
- Usage data: We collect data about how users interact with our services. This includes data such as access dates and times, app features or pages viewed, app crashes and other system activity, type of browser, and third-party sites or services used before interacting with our services. In some cases, we collect this data through cookies, pixels, tags, and similar tracking technologies that create and maintain unique identifiers.
- Device data: We may collect data about the devices used to access our services, including the hardware models, device IP address, operating systems and versions, software, preferred languages, unique device identifiers, advertising identifiers, serial numbers, device motion data, and mobile network data.
- Communications data: We enable users to communicate with each other and XXRIDE through XXRIDE’s mobile apps and websites. For example, we enable drivers and riders to call or text each other (generally without disclosing their telephone numbers to each other). To provide this service, XXRIDE receives some data regarding the calls, texts, or other communications, including the date and time of the communications and the content of the communications. XXRIDE may also use this data for customer support services (including to resolve disputes between users), for safety and security purposes, to improve our products and services, and for analytics.
- Data from other sources. This includes:
- User feedback, such as ratings, feedback, or compliments.
- Users participating in our referral programs. For example, when a user refers another person, we receive the referred person’s personal data from that user.
- XXRIDE account owners who request services for or on behalf of other users, or who enable such users to request or receive services through their accounts.
- Users or others providing information in connection with claims or disputes.
- XXRIDE business partners through which users create or access their XXRIDE account, such as payment providers, social media services, or apps or websites that use XXRIDE’s APIs or whose APIs XXRIDE uses.
- XXRIDE business partners in connection with the XXRIDEVisa Card to the extent disclosed in the terms and conditions for the card.
- Vendors who help us verify users’ identity, background information, and eligibility to work, for regulatory, safety, and security purposes.
- Insurance, vehicle, or financial services providers for drivers.
- Partner transportation companies (for drivers who use our services through an account associated with such a company).
- Publicly available sources.
- Marketing service providers.
XXRIDE may combine the data collected from these sources with other data in its possession.
- How we use personal data
XXRIDE collects and uses data to enable reliable and convenient transportation and services. We also use the data we collect:
- To enhance the safety and security of our users and services
- For customer support
- For research and development
- To enable communications between users
- To send marketing and non-marketing communications to users
- In connection with legal proceedings
XXRIDE does not sell or share user personal data with third parties for their direct marketing, except with users’ consent.
XXRIDE uses the data it collects for purposes including:
- Providing services and features. XXRIDE uses the data we collect to provide, personalize, maintain, and improve our products and services.
This includes using the data to:
- Create and update users’ accounts.
- Verify drivers’ identity, background history, and eligibility to work.
- Enable transportation and other services.
- Offer, process, or facilitate payments for our services.
- Offer, obtain, provide, or facilitate insurance, vehicle, invoicing, or financing solutions in connection with our services.
- Track and share the progress of rides or deliveries.
- Enable features that allow users to share information with other people, such as when riders submit a compliment about a driver, refer a friend to XXRIDE, split fares, or share ETA and location with their contacts.
- Enable features to personalize users’ XXRIDE accounts, such as creating bookmarks for favourite places, and to enable quick access to previous destinations.
- Enable Accessibility features that make it easier for users with disabilities to use our services, such as those that enable deaf or hard-of-hearing drivers to alert their riders of their disabilities, allow only text messages from riders, and enable receipt of flashing trip request notifications instead of sound notifications on their mobile device.
- Perform internal operations necessary to provide our services, including to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems; to conduct data analysis, testing, and research; and to monitor and analyse usage and activity trends.
- Safety and security. We use personal data to help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our services and users. This includes:
- Screening riders and drivers before enabling their use of our services and at subsequent intervals, including through reviews of background checks, where permitted by law, to help prevent use of our services by unsafe drivers and/or riders.
- Using data from drivers’ devices to help identify unsafe driving behaviour such as speeding or harsh braking and acceleration, and to inform them of safer driving practices.
- In certain regions, using information derived from driver’s license photos, and other photos submitted to XXRIDE, for safety and security purposes. This includes XXRIDE’s Real-Time ID Check feature, which prompts drivers to share a selfie before going online to help ensure that the driver or delivery partner using the app matches the XXRIDE account we have on file. This also includes comparing photographs that we have on file against photographs (i) of other users to prevent identity-borrowing, and (ii) from public databases to verify user identity.
- Using device, location, profile, usage, and other data to prevent, detect, and combat fraud or unsafe activities.
- Using user ratings and feedback to encourage compliance with our Community Guidelines and as grounds for deactivating drivers with low ratings or who otherwise violated such guidelines in certain countries.
- Customer support. XXRIDE uses the information we collect (including recordings of customer support calls with notice to and the consent of the user) to provide customer support, including to:
- Direct questions to the appropriate customer support person
- Investigate and address user concerns
- Monitor and improve our customer support responses and processes
- Research and development. We may use the data we collect for testing, research, analysis, product development, and machine learning to improve the user experience. This helps us to improve and enhance the safety and security of our services, improve our ability to prevent the use of our services for illegal or improper purposes, develop new features and products, and facilitate insurance and finance solutions in connection with our services.
- Enabling communications between users. For example, a driver may message or call a rider to confirm a pickup location, a rider may contact a driver to retrieve a lost item.
- Marketing. XXRIDE may use the data we collect to market our services to our users. This includes sending users communications about XXRIDE services, features, promotions, sweepstakes, studies, surveys, news, updates, and events.
We may also send communications to our users about products and services offered by XXRIDE partners. Although we may send users communications about XXRIDE partners’ products and services, we do not sell users’ personal data to, or share it with, such partners or others for purposes of their own direct marketing or advertising, except with users’ consent.
We may use the data we collect to personalize the marketing communications (including advertisements) that we send, including based on user location, past use of XXRIDE’s services, and user preferences and settings.
We may also send users communications regarding elections, ballots, referenda, and other political and notice processes that relate to our services. For example, XXRIDE has notified some users by email of ballot measures or pending legislation relating to the availability of XXRIDE’s services in those users’ areas.
- Non-marketing communications. XXRIDE may use the data we collect to generate and provide users with receipts; inform them of changes to our terms, services, or policies; or send other communications that aren’t for the purpose of marketing the services or products of XXRIDE or its partners.
- Legal proceedings and requirements. We may use the personal data we collect to investigate or address claims or disputes relating to use of XXRIDE’s services, or as otherwise allowed by applicable law, or as requested by regulators, government entities, and official inquiries.
- Automated decision-making
We use personal data to make automated decisions relating to use of our services. This includes:
- Enabling dynamic pricing, in which the price of a ride is determined based on constantly varying factors such as the estimated time and distance, the predicted route, estimated traffic, and the number of riders and drivers using XXRIDE at a given moment.
- Matching available drivers and delivery partners to users requesting services. Users can be matched based on availability, proximity, and other factors.
- Determining driver ratings, and deactivating drivers or riders with low ratings. Deactivating users who are identified as having engaged in fraud or activities that may otherwise harm XXRIDE, its users, and others.
- Using driver location information, and communications between riders and drivers, to identify cancellation fees earned or induced through fraud. For example, if we determine by using such information that a driver is delaying a rider pickup in order to induce a cancellation, we will not charge the rider a cancellation fee and will adjust the amounts paid to the driver to omit such a fee. To object to such adjustment, please contact XXRIDE customer support.
- Cookies and third-party technologies
- Authenticating users
- Remembering user preferences and settings
- Determining the popularity of content
- Delivering and measuring the effectiveness of advertising campaigns
- Analysing site traffic and trends, and generally understanding the online behaviours and interests of people who interact with our services
- Data sharing and disclosure
Some of XXRIDE’s products, services, and features require that we share data with other users or at a user’s request. We may also share data with our affiliates, subsidiaries, and partners, for legal reasons or in connection with claims or disputes.
XXRIDE may share the data we collect:
- With other users
This includes sharing:
- Riders’ first name, rating, and pickup and/or drop-off locations with drivers.
- Riders’ first name with other riders in a carpool trip. Riders in carpool trips may also see the drop-off location of the other riders.
- For drivers, we may share data with the rider(s) including name and photo; vehicle make, model, colour, license plate, and vehicle photo; location (before and during trip); average rating provided by users; total number of trips; length of use of the XXRIDE app; contact information (depending upon applicable laws); and driver profile, including compliments and other feedback submitted by past users. We also provide riders with receipts containing information such as a breakdown of amounts charged, driver first name, photo, route map, and such other information required on invoices in the country or region where the driver operates.
- At the user’s request
This includes sharing data with:
- Other people at the user’s request. For example, we share a user’s ETA and location with a friend when requested by that user, or a user’s trip information when they split a fare with a friend.
- XXRIDE business partners. For example, if a user requests a service through a partnership or promotional offering made by a third party, XXRIDE may share certain data with those third parties. This may include, for example, other services, platforms, apps or websites that integrate with our APIs; vehicle suppliers or services; those with an API or service with which we integrate.
- With the general public
Questions or comments from users submitted through public forums such as XXRIDE blogs and XXRIDE social media pages may be viewable by the public, including any personal data included in the questions or comments submitted by a user.
- With the XXRIDE account owner
If a user requests transportation or places an order using an account owned by another party, we may share their order or trip information, including real-time location data, with the owner of that account. This occurs, for example, when:
- A rider uses their employer’s XXRIDE for Business profile
- A driver uses an account owned by or associated with an XXRIDE partner transportation company
- A rider takes a trip arranged by a friend or under a Family Profile
- With XXRIDE subsidiaries and affiliates
We share data with our subsidiaries and affiliates to help us provide our services or conduct data processing on our behalf. For example, XXRIDE processes and stores data on behalf of its international subsidiaries and affiliates.
- With XXRIDE service providers and business partners
XXRIDE provides data to vendors, consultants, marketing partners, research firms, and other service providers or business partners. These include:
- Payment processors and facilitators
- Background check and identity verification providers (drivers only)
- Cloud storage providers
- Marketing partners and marketing platform providers, including social media advertising services
- Data analytics providers
- Research partners, including those performing surveys or research projects in partnership with XXRIDE or on XXRIDE’s behalf
- Vendors that assist XXRIDE to enhance the safety and security of its apps
- Consultants, lawyers, accountants, and other professional service providers
- Fleet partners
- Insurance and financing partners
- Lime and other local providers
- Vehicle solution vendors or third-party vehicle suppliers
- For legal reasons or in the event of a dispute
XXRIDE may share users’ personal data if we believe it’s required by applicable law, regulation, operating license or agreement, legal process, or governmental request, or where the disclosure is otherwise appropriate due to safety or similar concerns. This includes sharing personal data with law enforcement officials, public health officials, other government authorities, airports (if required by the airport authorities as a condition of operating on airport property), or other third parties as necessary to enforce our Terms of Service, user agreements, or other policies; to protect XXRIDE’s rights or property or the rights, safety, or property of others; or in the event of a claim or dispute relating to the use of our services. If you use another person’s credit card, we may be required by law to share your personal data, including trip or order information, with the owner of that credit card.
This also includes sharing personal data with others in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company.
- With consent
XXRIDE may share a user’s personal data other than as described in this notice if we notify the user and they consent to the sharing.
- Data retention and deletion
XXRIDE retains user profile, transaction, and other personal data for as long as a user maintains their XXRIDE account.
XXRIDE may retain certain user data after receiving an account deletion request if necessary, such as to comply with legal requirements.
XXRIDE retains user profile, transaction, and other information for as long as a user maintains their XXRIDE account. For drivers, XXRIDE also retains vehicle and background check information (to the extent permitted by law) for as long as they maintain their XXRIDE account.
Riders may request deletion of their account at any time through the Settings > Privacy menus in the XXRIDE app, or through XXRIDE’s Help Center. Following such requests, XXRIDE deletes the data that it is not required to retain for purposes of regulatory, tax, insurance, litigation, or other legal requirements. For example, XXRIDE retains location, device, and usage data for these purposes for a minimum of 7 years; while it retains such data, it may also use it for purposes of safety, security, fraud prevention and detection, and research and development. In certain circumstances, XXRIDE may be unable to delete a user’s account, such as if there’s an outstanding credit on the account or an unresolved claim or dispute. Upon resolution of the issue preventing deletion, XXRIDE will delete the account as described above.
XXRIDE may also retain certain information if necessary for purposes of safety, security, and fraud prevention. For example, if XXRIDE deactivates a user’s account because of unsafe behaviour or security incidents, XXRIDE may retain certain information about that account to prevent that user from opening a new XXRIDE account in the future.
- Grounds for processing
We only collect and use personal data where we have lawful grounds to do so. These include processing user personal data to provide requested services and features, for purposes of XXRIDE’s legitimate interests or those of other parties, to fulfil our legal obligations, or based on consent.
We collect and use personal data only where we have one or more lawful grounds for doing so. Such grounds may vary depending on where our users are located, but generally include processing personal data:
- To provide requested services and features
In order to provide our services, we must collect and use certain personal data. This includes:
- User profile data, which we use to establish and maintain user accounts; verify user identity; communicate with users about their trips, orders, and accounts; and enable users to make payments or receive earnings
- Background trip information, which is used to verify an applicant’s eligibility to be a driver
- Driver location data, which we use to track trips and assist with navigation
- Usage data, which is necessary to maintain, optimize, and enhance XXRIDE’s services, including to determine incentives, connect riders and drivers, and calculate costs of trips and driver earnings
- Transaction information
- Information relating to customer support
- For purposes of the legitimate interests of XXRIDE or other parties
This includes using personal data to maintain and enhance our users’ safety and security. For example, we use personal data to prevent use of our services by users who have engaged in inappropriate or dangerous behaviour, such as by retaining data of banned users to prevent their use of XXRIDE’s apps. We also use usage data to prevent matching of riders and drivers for whom there is higher risk of conflict (for instance, because they have been the subject of prior complaints from other users).
This also includes purposes such as combating fraud; improving our services, direct marketing, research, and development; and enforcing XXRIDE’s Terms of Service.
In addition, it includes using personal data to the extent necessary for the interests of other people or the public, such as in connection with legal or insurance claims, and to protect the rights and safety of others.
- To fulfil XXRIDE’s legal obligations
For example, XXRIDE is subject to laws and regulations in many cities and countries that require it to collect and retain data about our users’ trips, and to provide copies of such data to the government or other authorities. We collect and use personal data to comply with such laws.
XXRIDE may also share data with law enforcement regarding criminal acts or threats to public safety, or requests by third parties pursuant to legal processes.
- With consent
XXRIDE may collect and use personal data based on the user’s consent. For example, we may collect personal data through voluntary surveys. Responses to such surveys are collected based on consent and will be deleted once no longer necessary for the purposes collected.
A user who has provided consent to a collection or use of their personal data can revoke it at any time. However, the user will not be able to use any service or feature that requires collection or use of that personal data.